Both public and private schools in South Africa desperately need good teachers. Raise the Children sends our scholars to four different private schools in South Africa. We brokered an agreement with two of those schools to provide them with teachers in exchange for scholarships. Raise the Children will send the schools volunteer teachers to teach for one year. In return, the schools give 3-5 scholarships to Raise the Children for each teacher provided. These scholarships allow the orphans in our program to attend private school for free. We plan on sending 10 teachers to teach for the 2016 school year in return for nearly 50 orphan scholarships.
We Need Teachers: We Need You!
- We want dedicated, passionate, competent and trustworthy women and men to come teach in South Africa for the 2016 school year, which runs January-December.
- Our teachers live on the campus of the school where they teach. The schools cover the cost of teachers’ room and board.
- Since both our teachers and orphans board at school, the teachers are encouraged to use this opportunity to engage the orphans benefiting from their teaching commitment, by mentoring these children academically and in life.
- Our teachers have a very low-cost year while in our program. Raise the Children asks each of our volunteer teachers to raise around $7,000 to fund his or her year of service. This pays for the plane tickets to and from South Africa and leisure expenses including travel around the country during holiday breaks. We are happy to guide our volunteers through the fundraising process and are willing to discuss specific situations where fundraising may not be possible depending on your financial situation.
- RTC is working with local South African companies to provide the healthcare insurance, logistical support, and mentorship for any volunteers committing to this year of service. We have two program coordinators in South Africa to support and guide our teachers through their time and work there, as well as a program coordinator in the U.S. to guide them as they prepare for their trip.
If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about teaching with us for the 2016 year, please contact Elise White at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to answer your questions and connect you to one of our current Teacher Fellows who can give you a glimpse at life in our program in South Africa!